Banner Default Image

School-Led Tutoring

The National Tutoring Programme (NTP) has introduced School-Led Tutoring (SLT) as a third route of the NTP. All eligible schools in England automatically receive a ring-fenced grant funding for the provision of high-quality tutors. SLT is designed to help close the education gap between pupils and their peers. Schools can use this grant to source local tutoring provisions.

Step Teachers…

As an approved Tuition Partner of the NTP, Step Teachers have been helping schools take advantage of this funding. We have local tutors that hold Qualified Teacher Status and have already helped hundreds of pupils catch up.

  • Crown Commercial Service’s preferred supplier (CCS)

  • Assignment Confirmation & Vetting Checklist sent before the tutor arrives at your institution

  • Transparent and cost-effective services from the proud holders of the REC Education Audited Award

  • All Key Stages and Subjects

  • Groups of up to 6 pupils

  • In-person and online sessions.

  • Tutoring Manager assigned to help manage your tutoring options.

Our Tutors…
  • Teachers holding Qualified Teacher Status (QTS).

  • Fully vetted and trained on Safeguarding and PREVENT.

  • Experience of working in school settings.

  • Flexible – They can easily adapt to times that suit you.

  • Many have already delivered tutoring sessions as part of the NTP.

Subject…

We cover the full range of subjects.

Primary Schools: Literacy, Numeracy, and Science

Secondary Schools: English, Maths, Humanities, and MFL

Group Size…

To ensure that tutoring is highly beneficial to pupils at the same time as being cost-effective, a ratio of 1:3 is strongly recommended.

Though you can go up to 1:6 and schools can use their discretion when deciding this. For sessions taking place online, we recommend no more than 4 pupils in a sessions.

Funding…

SLT was introduced in 2021/22 and it works alongside the other two pillars; Tuition Partner and Academic Mentor.  The SLT grant is paid directly to schools in three payments. September 2021 December 2021 and April 2022 via their usual ESFA funding route. The ring-fenced SLT grant is calculated to cover 75% of the cost of tuition. Schools are expected to cover the remaining 25% from other budgets such as recovery premium or pupil premium.

Find out more about the School-Led Tutoring Grant