We have a beautiful small nursery that requires a school cook to feed all the hungry little children. It's a tiny nursery in Potter's Bar and the maximum number of kids will be just below 40. It's a brilliant nursery and we highly recommend meeting the team and seeing for yourself how lovely the nursery in Potter's Bar truly is. If you're feeling overwhelmed about cooking for so many children, then please don't. The kitchen is the same size as what you'd expect in a house.
Monday - Friday
9:30am - 15:30pm
-To organise, cook and prepare a healthy, balanced diet for children aged 1 to 5 years in accordance with the nursery menus.
- Take into consideration daily those children who have special dietary requirements and prepare a suitable alternative.
- Ensure high standards of hygiene, health and safety are maintained in the kitchen at all times.
Areas of Responsibility
- To be responsible for the day-to-day running of the kitchen, ensuring compliance with registration and legislative requirements at all times.
- Ensure that all individual dietary requirements are catered for in line with parental guidance.
- Maintain necessary kitchen procedures and records in accordance with Environmental Health policies and processes.
- Liaise with nursery Manager on the ordering of necessary kitchen equipment.
- To undertake any other reasonable catering duties as requested by the Nursery Manager.
- Ensure the kitchen and equipment is kept suitably clean at all times including walls, floors and trolleys to transport food following a cleaning schedule.
- On a daily basis that all crockery, cutlery and cooking utensils are washed in accordance with food safety guidelines.
- Ensure that all foods are ready at the specified time and correctly served.
- To implement and maintain the company’s equal opportunities policy ensuring that children,
-To monitor any safeguarding issues following local authority procedures.
- To ensure you have a clean uniform, including headwear, daily and wear suitable footwear for working in a busy kitchen space.
- To give daily feedback to the Nursery Manager about the kitchen including any situation that may be detrimental to the company.
- Ensure the effective and regular removal of waste materials to the designated waste area.
- The ability to use food preparation equipment and ensure the economic use of materials, equipment and energy.
- The ability to work as part of a team and use your own initiative.
- The ability to manage your own time and prioritise tasks.
- Have a friendly, flexible approach.
- To have total responsibility of the kitchen, cleaning all of the equipment and appliances, take temperatures of the food, fridge and freezer and record these in the kitchen file.
Health & Safety
- To ensure that the highest standards of health and safety apply to both children, staff, parents and visitor, maintaining a safe and secure environment.
- Ensure that hygiene and cleanliness within the kitchen are of the highest standard in accordance with Environmental Health requirements and legislation.
- Pay due attention to the cook's dress code: Hair to be tied back if touching your collar, no nail varnish, no false nails, no rings with the exception of the wedding band, trousers, white coat and appropriate head covering to be worn.
- Maintain an awareness of food allergies keeping an up to date log of all children in the nursery, working with the staff team during new admissions.
- Update your knowledge and awareness of Health and Safety issues including COSHH regularly.
- To be responsible for the hygiene and complete all Risk Assessment within the kitchen area.
- Prevent cross-contamination of food within the kitchen area.
- Temperatures of high-risk food must be recorded at the time of delivery and cooking.
- All food must be stored and served at the temperatures required by the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health Food Safety.
Conditions of Employment